First Billion for the Economy

Investments in the construction of Rooppur NPP exceeded USD 1 billion in 2018, according to Bangladeshi sources.

As of early December, the Government of Bangladesh approved allocation of USD 1.2 billion to finance construction and procure machinery for the nuclear plant.

The primary source of funding for the first nuclear power plant in Bangladesh is a loan granted by the Russian Federation. It covers 90% of the project’s estimated costs. The remaining 10% is to be financed by Bangladesh. The funding for the project will come in several tranches, each to be approved by the Bangladesh Ministry of Finance.

Bangladesh officials state that the construction of two power units at Rooppur is on schedule.

For reference:

The Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant will be based on two Russian-designed VVER-1200 reactors with a capacity of 1,200 MW each. The plant is constructed 160 km away from Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh, in accordance with the general contract signed on December 25, 2015 with ASE (Rosatom’s engineering division) acting as the project’s general contractor. The VVER-1200-based design selected for the country’s first nuclear power plant has been successfully implemented at Unit 1 of Novovoronezh II. The Generation III+ design meets all international safety requirements.